Thursday, May 6, 2010

Weed, Weed, Go Away




Meet Bob. This is the weed in the front yard that is so big that the boys have named it. I have been cursed with a black thumb. Plants start taking root out of their pots when they enter my home. I have actually considered planting artificial plants outside - no watering, sun, etc. Although with the dog, Baxter, that could end bad. I am hopeful that if I took the iniciative to educate myself on plant life, I might have more success. A few years back,I did plant some Rose bush plant things that definitely took - the first success Randy and I have had.
I have found that I am a huge green thumb when it comes to weeds. I don't have to do anything and they take over the yard at a record breaking rate. The newest weed (pictured above) arrival was noticed about a month ago and blended in with the plants to which a comment was made on whether is was a plant or a weed. It was kind of pretty even. I slightly attempted to pull it out, but was not very motivated when I got pricked by the thorns on it. Last week (I don't go outside my front door much - we use the side door) I couldn't believe that a little weed had tripled in size now looking like it was on a mission to overthrow the other plants and bushes. I keep thinking of the Little Shop of Horrors movie. Last night I put on snow gloves and a jacket for protection against the thorns. As I was playing tug-a-war with the weed, I was still getting stuck by it and it wouldn't budge. I only wounded it slightly by pulling off some of the leaves. I tried to use a towel for hand protection, still no luck. Brandon and I went out with a shovel this afternoon and put an end to it. I still can't get over the size of the root. Here are some photos of our triumph:
.

No comments:

Post a Comment