
Thanks to my sister Amanda, Randy and I were able to spend the weekend in Virginia - kid free. Randy and I's luck on leaving to go on any trip seems to be not so good. All the last minute details to wrap up always seem to be never ending. So leaving at 8pm we found ourselves with a 6 hour drive in front of us. It was nice to sit and chat for so long, since we haven't had much time together lately. Randy listened to a book on tape, while I played Hoyle Games on the laptop. I love to do this on trips as I never feel justified to spend time playing at home. A few stops here or there for gas fills, drinks and bathroom breaks. I even got to drive for a little while Randy took a short nap. Then Randy's buddies at the Highway Patrol found us like a magnet. We have been pretty fortunate lately and have been able to avoid them, but 10 minutes from our destination we were tagged going 72 in a 55 zone. We thought it was 65 as most of the trip had been. Needless to say, he claims to have given us a break and only noted that it was 64 in a 55 zone. My poor husband, this has been a life long trial. We are building on the retirement account for the police. Anyway, by 2:30am, I think, we arrived at my brother, Garren's house who graciously housed us. Upon our arrival, the bed looked so comfy, and it had towels transformed into animals like on a cruise ship. There was also a welcoming note with homemade strawberry jam for us to enjoy. Hotel Laymon was a definite great choice.





On Friday morning My sister-in-law Melissa and her three month old baby Miriam accompanied us to Buena Vista, VA to Southern Virginia University for the Education Conference. The day was jammed packed with such wonderful speakers. We were able to hear from President Monson's daughter, Ann Dibb. Also from President Hinckley's daughter Kathleen Hinckley Walker and her husband, Elder Joe J. Christensen a General Authority, Andrew Skinner, and Robert Millet. On Friday night we were entertained by the College Drama department with the musical production of "Annie Get Your Gun." The music was wonderful and such talented students made it a huge success and very enjoyable.


Friday ended with a concert from my favorite Jenny Oaks Baker performing on the violin. She is so talented, and plays with such passion. Randy said it gave him goose bumps hearing her play. It was truly breath taking.


While their, Melissa gave us a tour of the college and we even got to see and go into her old dorm room. The area and college have such history significance and the buildings are so beautiful. We greatly enjoyed the opportunity to hold Miriam and visit with my nephew Joshua and there new puppy Tootles. On Friday, Randy was holding Miriam and her diaper leaked onto his pants, with the events of the night prior he then turned and asked me if we were sitting under a light that might drop on his head....funny. On Saturday night Randy and I went to dinner at a BBQ stake place and then went to the movies and saw "Letters to Juliet" which we both enjoyed. Sunday am packed up, said our good bye's and headed home, with a much more successful venture. The boys were excited to see us as was Riley, we missed all of them and it is always nice to come home. A big thank you to Amanda, who had everything under control and who the kids felt right at home with. I know this is detailed and I start to think who wants to read this? Then I remind myself that I am doing this for me, so I can write whatever I want and be as wordy as ever. It was a great time and it was nice to feel the spirit of the conference.

No comments:
Post a Comment