Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dear Dad


Dear Dad,

As this Father's Day approaches, I am finding myself so sad, with tears falling at the strangest moments as I am thinking of you. I can't believe it has been over a year since I saw you last, and almost six months since your passing. So sudden, without warning, so young. I know mom aches for you as we all do. I wish I lived closer so I could visit and hang out with her like I did when you lived in Holland. I miss having that closeness. I wish you could have met Riley in person and held her. I miss the sound of your voice and some of your cute little sayings when you would call, "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?", "Is this my oldest number one daughter". I miss our joking about the fact that Sharon was your favorite, even though I know you loved all of us so much. I continually remember the way you would give one armed hugs and kiss my forehead. I will never forget your sweet chuckle and warm friendly smile or the fact that you were convinced you were an introvert, yet your sociability was far from that. I recall how you didn't like to get all dressed up, and joked how you would show up to our wedding receptions in jeans and a t-shirt. I remember our summer drives to California and how I would always take the last exit out of line on Space Mountain, while you and Sharon went ahead. I cherish the memories of driving cross country to college with you and the fact that I thought we could drive and not stop for lunch. I figured we would just eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the car, yeah that lasted for the first day. I recall how Randy asked for your permission to marry me in the celestial room of the D.C. temple. I remember our family trip to D.C., that I did not want to go on, yet that is one of my favorite trip memories, even when it down poured rain, and I ran with you through the streets to get the car. I remember watching in support as you ran various races. I enjoyed visiting you at work in Portland and again in your office in Princeton. I remember the work you and Grandpa put in on Sharon and I's room. I loved sitting on the couch and singing hymns with you, even though you said you couldn't sing. I loved the times we shared on the dance floor dancing. You had rockin' rhythm scooting all around the dance floor. You were a great support in church, always volunteering to walk the halls with the grand kids when they were fussy. I remember being frustrated when Brandon was one and feeling like I was getting nothing out of the church meetings and feeling like it was a waste going. You reminded me that it was the example I was setting for my family and the consistency that were important too. Those words of advise has helped me many times throughout the years. You had endless patience with the various fender benders... I still say the station wagon was too big to fit through the ATM drive-in. I know some of these memories may seem silly or not make much sense, and there are so many more, I cherish them all. Thanks for all the father's blessings you gave and for the listening ear and endless support physically, mentally, and spiritually. Thanks for the great way in which you loved mom, and for setting the example of the kind of husband I wanted. Thanks for bringing our family into the gospel and for living your life in a way that was patterned after the Savior. Thanks for your testimony and for sharing it often. Thanks for being sealed in the temple to mom so that our family can be reunited again for all eternity. I love you Dad and know that you are watching down over all of us. I am sure you are anxiously engaged in a good work and continually blessing the lives of those on the other side. I look forward with great anticipation to the day we meet again. Happy Father's Day, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. What lovely memories and sentiments. I whole-heartedly agree!
    Such a beautiful posting. You have said what I'm sure is in all of our thoughts. Thank you, Jennifer. I love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have our own memories of dad but so many of the same ones too, like the hugs & that kiss on the forehead I think all part of all of our memories as well as how much he loved mom. They love was always something to strive for, since you knew without a doubt, when youvwould see them together just how much they cared for each other. It's been a tough 6 mo for all as I also find myself tearing up or crying at memories. He will be greatly missed by all of us. Thank you Jennifer for sharing what a lot of us were thinking about on this father's days. Love you lots

    ReplyDelete